The forces going through the lumbar spine when you lift can be considerable. A back brace, or spinal orthosis, can help unload some of the weight normally placed on the spine and are designed to limit the motion of the spine in cases of fracture or in post-operative fusions, as well as a preventative measure against some progressive conditions.
Back braces are commonly used for the following conditions:
- Muscle tension and strain
- Vertebral compression fractures
- Spinal stenosis
- Post-operative healing.
Functions of a back brace:
- Reduce painful muscle tension which can be common post injury.
- Improve posture to aid with pain relief and spinal alignment.
- Reduce movement to aid healing.
- Reduce load in the spinal structures.
- Provide additional spinal support due to weakness or injury.
- Warmth produced from wear may reduce muscle tensions and spasms.
- Pain relief
- Assist with healing post fracture or injury
- Aid the return to work or general activities of daily living
- Lessen the amount of pain medication required
- Non-intrusive treatment method for spinal injuries
- Allows you to take control of your treatment
Brace braces are available in different level of support from simple elasticated wrap-a-round back support for general pain management to, rigid braces to reduce spinal movement post injury. Total Body Orthotics has a wide range of braces available to suit your individual needs.
Total Body Orthotics offers face-to-face clinical assessments for the provision, measurements and fitting of a wide range of orthotic devices from insoles to fully customised Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis (KAFOs). Appointments are based at our clinic at The Arcade, High Street, Eccleshall , Staffordshire, ST21 6BZ. There is a £50 assessment fee to access this service.
If you have purchased a device from us and are struggling with fitting or wear we also provide free online Zoom consultations with our orthotist where we can provide remote support and advice where possible.